Black + Decker Platinum BDH2000FL 20-Volt Review – This Is Probably The Most Versatile Handheld In The Market Right Now
It’s virtually impossible with an upright (unless you have a hose attachment).
Let’s be honest here, how many of you vacuum your upholstery at least once every week?
I’m not one of those who raised their hands because those vacuums are too heavy and with the coiling and uncoiling of wires, it takes way too much time to prep.
The Black + Decker BDH2000FL, makes this possible because it is lightweight, cordless and it has a flexible 4-foot hose that allows you to dig in and work on embedded dirt.
Update: If you check in Amazon, the price for this vacuum has gone up over $200. If you want a similar product with some improvements you can check out the Platinum BDH2020FLFH which basically has the same features only it comes with an extension wand and a floor tool.
This is good news because less dust will be accumulated on upholstery and your home will have a cleaner, more breathable air.
This is the updated version of the Flex FHV1200 that used a Nickel Cadmium battery and had a notoriously short battery life and very long charging time.
Black and Decker claims that this will charge 6 times faster than older nicads and will give more power and run time and it’ll be fade free for up to 18 months.
It is a relatively new product that’s around a year old, so there aren’t a ton of reviews available online.
Pet Hair Removal
Ease of Use
Features at a glance
- Powered by a 20 volt lithium ion battery that’ll take 5 hours to recharge and last anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes.
- 4 foot flexible hose can be unwrapped to reach tougher spots and wrapped again if it’s not needed
- Comes with a 2 in 1 brush and crevice tool as well as a pet hair tool
- Has a 3 stage filtration system and a washable cone type filter in the middle
- The bagless canister is transparent so you can see the contents inside and it will hold up to 17 ounces of dirt
- Claims to use 25% less energy
- At the center it has a knob that brushes all the dirt away from the openings on the filter to maintain performance even as the canister fills up
- Has an LED light that blinks to let you know if it’s still charging
- The battery is integrated into the unit and you charge it by plugging it on a charging stand
- Included in the package is an extra washable filter
- Weighs only 3.8 pounds
- Short charge time
- The 4 foot flexible hose is long enough that you’ll be able to place the vacuum on the floor and use the hose to reach sofas or chairs to apply more pressure.
- It comes with 2 attachments (combination brush/crevice and pet hair tool) that allow you to clean different types of surfaces and pickup stubborn pet hair
- The dirt container has windows on it so you can see how much dirt is in there
- Filter is washable
- It has a filter knob that brushes dirt away from the filter opening so that it’ll maintain suction power even if the canister has contents in it
- A single charge will give you at least 15 minutes of run time – more than enough time for spot clean ups
- Not as noisy as other cordless vacuums
- Very limited dirt capacity at only 17 ounces
- Because of its narrow pathway, the canister is difficult to empty, often times requiring folks to use their fingers just to dislodge the contents
- No replacement battery currently available, so if it dies after the warranty period you’re stuck with a heavy paper weight
- Isn’t as powerful as other cheaper options (this one is rated at 22.3 air watts) while the other models it’s being compared to – the PHV1810 has 35 AW and the FHV1200 has 25 AW
- Charger doesn’t have a wall mounting option which increases the footprint when storing this
The newer B&D BDH2000FL has a similar design as the older FHV1200 – the difference is the motor and the battery.
It has the same 4 foot flexible hose, crevice and pet hair tool designed to clean hard to reach areas above eye-level that’ll be impossible to clean with most stick or upright vacuums.
This one is powered by a 20-volt lithium that only needs 5 hours to recharge, and will last around 15 to 30 minutes on a full charge.
Take note that the 20 volts listed is the max and not the constant running voltage. The nominal voltage is around 18 volts.
The crevice, brush and pet hair tools all have a narrow opening so this is best used as a spot cleaning tool. It will work best on bare floors and according to reviews.
Because it has a flexible hose, it does a good job picking up dirt in corners, crevices, cracks, cushions and in areas around appliances and furniture.
It is strong enough to pick up loose dirt and debris off the floor that’ll fit in the attachments but don’t expect it to pick up heavier stuff like marbles.
Remember this isn’t designed to clean floors but only parts of it. If you want a dedicated cordless bare floor cleaner, consider a stick vacuum that has a wider cleaning path.
Like what I’ve said in the bare floor performance section, this will do a good job for spot clean ups because it doesn’t have a wide floor tool found in a stick vacuum.
The bristles on the brush tool isn’t stiff enough to dislodge dirt trapped on this surface. If you’re having trouble taking out dirt with either the crevice or brush tool, use the pet hair tool instead.
You’ll have to get on all fours to clean floors because there isn’t a wand tool available to extend the reach and allow you to clean floors standing up. This will work best on chairs, tables, walls, windows and areas that are hard to reach.
Even though it has an odd design, a lot of consumers really liked the pet hair attachment, oftentimes using it to remove pet hair from chairs, sofas and carpet.
You’ll get two attachments – a combination brush / crevice and a pet hair tool.
There is also an extra filter included so if one gets clogged up, you can still use the other and wash the dirty filter.
If you are using it for the 1st time, you’ll need to charge it for at least 20 hours then subsequent charges will only take roughly 5 hours.
The battery is integrated into the unit and it comes with instructions on how to remove and dispose.
Main problem here is that is no replacement battery available which hopefully is rectified soon.
Remember this product is still less than a year old in the market so expect a replacement battery to be manufactured soon.
Cleaning up this one can be a little bit tricky, even though B&D claims it’s easy to clean, reviews reveal that you might need to use your fingers to manually dislodge dirt like hair that can’t free fall on its own.
One neat feature this has is the knob on the center that you can turn to move dirt away from the filter so that it doesn’t clog up and hurt the suction power of the unit.
The filter itself is located in the middle and can be washed. It is easily removed with a turn a of a knob. Manual states that it is dishwasher safe.
Based on online reviews you’ll get roughly 15 to 30 minutes on a single charge. 30 minutes is the max.
Black & Decker gives a 3 year limited warranty on the whole unit.
Here’s a promotional video from Black and Decker…
A video review from Tools in Action…
Pet hair tool
|Battery||20 volt Lithium Ion|
|Charging time||20 hours (initial)|
|Battery life||15 - 30 minutes|
|Net weight (with battery)||3.8 pounds|
|Shipping weight||6 pounds|
|Filter type||2 stage filter:|
1 - plastic mesh
1 - cloth
(both are washable)
|Dirt capacity||17 oz|
|Warranty||2 year limited on vacuum, battery and charger|
There weren’t a whole lot of reviews online. Currently there is stick vacuum and close to 30 gave it the full 5 star rating, a lot of them liked the portability and attachments.
One of their favourite features was the flexible hose that allowed them to reach a lot of areas by hand that a big vacuum could not.
Update (Feb. 19, 2014): Currently there are around 130 reviews in Amazon and more than 80 gave it 5 stars! 50 of them said that suction power was good.
A number of pet owners also chimed in on how this product did a good job on cleaning up pet hair on their couches and chairs.
The main complaints were the lack of power and the price (which I can understand but since this is a new product – prices of new appliances are really high).
The best deal you can get is still in Amazon where you can buy this for less than $90. There is also an upgraded version of this product that comes with an extension wand – this will help you clean floors better.
This product is great for…
Spot clean-ups around your home and inside your vehicle. It has the attachments that clean up hard to reach spots and also pet hair if you have them at home.
Better hope that Black and Decker will come up with a replacement battery for this one soon or else it’ll end up as a disposable unit.