Hoover Linx Cordless BH50010 Review
Before I say the Hoover Linx, I wondered if there was a cordless that would work on carpet and fall under $200.
I’m just starting off and there’s no way that I could afford a fancy $300 vacuum even though it has all the bells and whistles.
Living in a small home I needed something that is cordless, cleans well, charges in just a few hours, has a wide enough cleaning head so that I don’t need go back and forth so many times.
It also has to be easy to empty.
This undoubtedly is one of the more popular models in their product line with over 8,000 reviews in Amazon alone and thousands more in different shopping sites.
The best part would be the price, this stick costs way below the $200 threshold.
It uses the same battery as the handheld Linx 50030 so this gives you incentive to buy both since they’ll complement one another.
Only one of the few vacs in the market equipped a motorized brush roll AND edge cleaning brushes that’ll clean floors right up to the edges.
Pet Hair Removal
Ease of Use
- Good suction power
- Cleans bare floors, even up to the edges
- Great to use on bare floor, rugs and low pile carpet
- You can use it on pet hair
- Only weighs 7.25 pounds which light for a stick vac this tall
- In one online review this only recorded in at only 75 decibels so it won’t hurt your eardrums
- Easy to empty
- Foam filter is washable
- It does operate fade free for most of the charge cycle around 87 – 90% then it slowly dies down
- Power switch is easily accessible
- Easily transitions from hard floor to carpet
- It can stand up on its own
- Easy to empty dirt cup
- A little too long to use on stairs
- You’ll get your hands dirty cleaning the filter especially taking off hair off the baffle tube
- Base can’t swivel which limits its mobility
- Foam filter doesn’t do a good job trapping dirt
- Though it can reach areas below furniture, it doesn’t go very far because of the diameter of the dirt cup – one consumer gave a detailed review on how far it would go – it will go under the first 9 inches if there is at least 2-1/2” of clearance
The Hoover Platinum Stick is a floor cleaner capable of cleaning both carpet and hard floor surfaces.
It has a wide 11 inch cleaning path that can cover a lot of ground. Side brushes can agitate and pick up dirt on the edges.
If you own the Linx Pet Handheld and looking for something to clean your floors then this is a logical choice because both of them use the same battery.
Even if you don’t own the Linx 50030 it is still a good purchase because these features:
- Uses a removable 18 volt lithium battery that takes 3 hours to charge and will last roughly 15 minutes
- Has a powered brush roll with its own motor
- Easy access power switch located on the handle
- Edge cleaning bristles reach all the way to the edge
- Fold flat feature allows this to reach under furniture
- Uses the cyclonic system keeping dirt away from the filter
- Equipped with the patented WindTunnel Technology
- Transparent dirt cup lets you know when it’s time to empty
- Wide 11” cleaning path
- Delivers the performance of an upright on hard floors
- Low profile base reaches more area under countertops and furniture
- The ability to monitor batery status
This is surface where it’ll stand out – with Hoover claiming upright performance.
Capable of picking up fine (powder) to medium (cereal, dog or cat food) sized chunks of dirt with relative ease. But it’ll have some trouble with those larger ones – well most floor vacs will have trouble with larger chunks of dirt.
I must warn you that large chunks of debris can get caught in a tube.
It has an opening for larger debris though it’s only a few inches wide but this acts as a funnel for those big chunks of dirt.
There is will some sort of a snow plow effect when it comes to cleaning larger bits of dirt. Tilt the head when you encounter these.
One feature you’ll appreciate and thousands others have is the edge cleaning bristles that allow this to reach edges.
You don’t need to whip out a handheld or bend down and use your fingers just to clean dirt off the edges.
This is an issue with a lot of floor cleaners and this feature makes this one of the best sellers.
By the way Hoover doesn’t recommend turning it on when cleaning hard floors.
Like on bare floor, it did a really decent job on low pile carpet, picking up dirt in one or two passes.
On several video reviews I saw in Youtube, it picked up fine particles such as baking soda to bigger things like cat or dog food.
It won’t deep clean carpets like an upright or canister or work well on really thick carpet but I don’t think any of the cordless does this well.
The stiff side brushes allow this to clean edges to some extent.
A nice feature put in by Hoover that saves you time in cleaning floors. No need to get a handheld to pick up dirt left here.
Cleaning pet hair on carpet or bare floor shouldn’t be a problem because it has a brush roll.
Long strands of hair will wrapped on the brush roll or baffle tube (photo below). So you will need to clean these areas from time to time.
No attachments or accessories included just the charger.
It takes around 3 hours to charge.
Check the LED light to see battery status
- Solid light = Fully charged
- Slow blinking = Still charging
- Fast blinking = There is an error, call the Hoover service center
Remember to remove the battery from the charger after charging – don’t leave it on there because it’ll shorten the service life.
There was a suggestion about using an outlet timer so you can leave it on the charger overnight.
Cleaning the filter will involve these steps:
- Remove the dirt cup from the vacuum by pressing the release button located on top of the dirt cup.
- Press the empty button and empty the contents over a garbage bin
- Remove baffle tube and remove any debris like hair stuck on it
- Remove filter cup to see if filter needs cleaning
This unit comes with one foam filter located on top of the dirt cup – only wash in running water, don’t use any detergent or wash it in a dishwasher.
A majority of owners reported a battery life of around 15 minutes on hard floors and roughly 10 minutes on carpet.
Reviews in different sites confirmed the fade free claim, it’ll run well throughout the charge cycle then at about the two minute mark before it’s empty it’ll slowly lose suction.
Hoover claims that this battery will last for around 600 to 800 charge cycles.
All platinum series vacuums come with a 2 year warranty.
See how it performs on carpet…
and on tiles…
Instructions on changing the belt…
|Brush roll on/off||Yes|
|Battery||18 volt Lithium Ion
|Charging time||3 hours|
|Battery life||15 minutes|
|Shipping weight||10.5 pounds|
|Energy Star Rated||Yes|
|Noise Level||75 dB|
|Warranty||2 year limited on the whole unit|
The Linx Stick cordless had way over 6,500 reviews from Amazon alone with a vast majority of them giving it a 5 star rating.
This volume alone makes this the number one selling product in the stick vac category.
More than a thousand gave this a 5 star rating and over 300 gave it 4 stars – a lot of them liked that it was lightweight, easy to use and has strong suction – strong enough to clog up the pathway in between the base and canister as mentioned in some reviews.
Pet owners loved the performance on carpet but mentioned how pet hair tangles up on the beater bar and baffle tube.
One of the most common complaints about this product is the battery – either it didn’t last long enough or it prematurely broke.
The first issue is run time. It will run only for 15 minutes tops with the brush off. With the brush on that number goes down to 10 minutes.
Second issue deals with defective products. All electronic products will have a percentage of their products classified as a lemon. That’s the purpose of having a warranty.
Some common issues in Amazon:
- Handle (held on by a screw) that’s wobbly and breaks off after a few months of use
- Charger breaking down
- Weak suction because of blockage
- Brush not working after a few months because of busted wires
- Issues with customer support
- Clogs easily
- Build quality could be an issue over the long term
Reviews from other sites
Over 600 people left a review in Walmart and out that around 93% would recommend this product.
That’s a great percentage!
The reasons why people loved this are quite similar to the consumers in Amazon.
It performed well on both carpet and bare floors, it is lightweight and even though it can’t swivel users still liked how easy it was to maneuver. Pet owners also loved how it helps them clean off pet hair their dogs and cats shed.
Battery life is around 15 to 20 minutes but there were complaints about lemon batteries that don’t work or didn’t last long.
A common issue here even for 4/5 star ratings would be the handle that breaks.
Older folks like this product because it was lightweight.
Over 170 left reviews and over 140 of them would recommend it to a friend.
People loved that even though it has strong suction (with some using it as a commercial cleaner), it still managed to keep its weight down.
BestBuy had around 76 reviews to date and 96% of them would recommend it to a friend – reviews were a bit mixed about battery life with some satisfied and some feeling that it’s a bit lacking and it needs at least 2 batteries.
There were also some complaints about not having any attachments and the dirt cup being small.
Satisfied customers include pet owners, the brand conscious, small families and teens.
18 people were kind enough to leave a personal review here, with 13 of them giving a 5 star rating.
Most of them liked its suction power (with some comparing it to the Dyson) plus its compact and lightweight design.
This product is available in large retailers like Walmart and BestBuy but the absolute best deal can be found in Amazon.
This product is great for Small to medium sized homes with bare floor or low pile carpet.
It’ll do a good job on both types of surfaces, easily picking up fine to medium sized particles in just one or two passes.
Edge cleaning also isn’t a problem thanks to the side brushes.
Don’t rely on this if you have thick carpets at home since it won’t do as good a job as it wood on thinner carpet.
Because it is over 42 inches long, it can be tricky to use this cleaning stairs. You may want to use a handheld vacuum with a brush roll for this job.
There are some minor issues such as the small dirt bin and hair wrapping up on the baffle and beater bar. But for homes with no pets this is a good cordless to have.
Some consumers say you get a 6 year warranty on the vacuum but Hoover.com states that has a 2 year warranty. Please call them to verify.
The short run time makes me hesitant to recommend this as a primary cleaner in homes carpet. One option would be buying an extra battery. Another would be choosing another product with a much longer run time like the Hoover Air Cordless Lift.
Overall a very good stick vac with good power and decent battery life, just don’t forget to clean the brush roll, baffle tube, edge bristles and tube in between the body and base regularly to maintain the performance and extend service life.